Southern Ocean Carbon Processes (SOCarP): Deployment of biogeochemistry and current meter mooring and sub-surface sediment trap mooring for a comprehensive understanding of the seasonal and inter-annual variability of the physical, biogeochemical and biological parameters and fluxes (air-sea and vertical/biological pump).
Ongoing Southern Ocean programme will be implemented to achieve the following scientific goals:
- Heat budget, zonal and meridional heat transport
- Carbon cycle.
- Comprehensive understanding of the conventional food-web and microbial loop in the various frontal regions.
- Plankton biodiversity and to create a plankton database.
- Molecular taxonomy of plankton.
- Biophysical coupling
- Turbulence structure of Southern Ocean troposphere.
- Physical and chemical characteristics of aerosols and its impact on radiative forcing
- Development of a suitable ecosystem model
Other Scientific programmes in the Tropical Indian Ocean
- Seychelles-Chagos Thermocline Ridge (SCTR) & Maiden-Julian Oscillation studies.
- Sub-tropical Indian Ocean Oligotrophic Gyre Studies.